Step by Step Video Tutorials on Java Frameworks

Step by Step Video Tutorials on Java Frameworks


The importance of WebMatrix 2

Posted: 24 Dec 2012 11:03 AM PST

I was recently in the market for a website. I have created web applications using Struts, Spring and ASP.NET but when it came to creating a simple website to market my step by step Java video tutorial, I was left stumped. I knew the HTML, CSS stuff but there is no art bone in me. I had always used CSS files given to me by a professional. I can modify stuff, but when it comes to graphical art originality, I am a big zero.

I tried to create a site using dream weaver, expression web, but knew they never impressed anyone, including me. I also wanted the site to have a blog, a forum and a few cool features – just to impress those who visit my site. That's when I decided to give the various open source content management systems a try. It's only when you start your groundwork, you realize the information and choice over load. I had heard of WordPress, Joomla and Drupal and was expecting to research them and arrive at a decision in a couple of days. But, holy moly, there were 100's of them. And the problem was not just with the choice, installing every CMS on your local machine and playing with them is such a headache.

WordPress famously claims a 5 minute install. Yes, it's a 5 minute install as long as you have a domain provider to play with, but forget doing it on your local machine. The same with Drupal and Joomla.

I simply didn't have the time to read the documentation of all these CMS creators just to install them and try out some basic features. That's when I happened to come across Microsoft WebMatrix 2.

I never knew this product existed and I don't exactly remember how I stumbled upon it. But boy oh boy, has this been a revelation. WebMatrix2 (which is free) helps to install all these CMSs on your local machine quickly and easily. This is really great as I can take all the CMSs for a test drive in seconds.
 
I wasn't interested in the inbuilt templates, but just click on the app gallery and look at the choices.
 
WebMatrix2 supports like 61 apps, including CMSs, wikis, blogs and forums. Everything that I wanted in a website.
I have used wix.com to create a temporary website (PatrickVideos.com), but I am actively exploring using one of these for creating the site. CMSs I believe are more search engine friendly than webbuilder sites(I may be wrong here). But, CMSs definitely offer more control and flexibility.

So go ahead and install WebMatrix2 and let me know your thoughts. If you know of anyother tool like WebMatrix please advice. I would love to hear from you.


Post a Comment