Step by Step Video Tutorials on Java Frameworks

Step by Step Video Tutorials on Java Frameworks


Building a website – Can we make it simple?

Posted: 26 Dec 2012 10:52 AM PST

So there I was looking for pre-built website templates. I wanted to build a site fast. I saw that HostGator had the largest collection of templates for websites and decided to host with them; just for the templates even though they were a bit on the expensive side. But horror of horrors I realized the 4500 templates that HostGator has is of little use to me. I really wonder if it is of any use to anyone. Who the hell designed those templates? And who approved them? The issue was, when I tried to modify those templates I noticed that all their menu items were done in .jpeg files. Really! Are you kidding me! So did Hostgator expect someone developing a site to have the same menu as their template? How difficult would it have been to make them CSS and editable texts? Recreating such .jpeg files is no easy task.

I tried templatemonster.comand similar other sites where I can buy templates, but noticed they don't have a trial version where I can play with their sites and see if they fit my needs. The front pages look cool, but what if I want different layouts for other pages? Is there any way I can choose to create new pages and select layouts? I didn't find an answer in their FAQ's. Also most sites are designed like a newsletter. So much of information crammed in a single page. I couldn't find templates which highlight a single product, like a movie or play or an actor. I did come across them, but they weren't visually appealing. That's when I landed at Wix.com. They have a free trial version which helped me design my site and check out all the features, and once done, I went live. Set up and design of my website was a breeze and I highly recommend them.
Now for things I didn't like wix.com. I paid $149 for a yearly subscription. After making my purchase, on second thought I googled for any discount coupons. (Don't ask me why I didn't think of it before!) Horror of horrors I noticed a 50% off coupon. I hate it when companies do that. Have secret coupons. I really don't get the point of it all. Which business course encourages you to make your customers look like fools? Because, that's what I felt like! The same thing happens whenever I order pizza. There are always discount coupons floating around on the net. Why can't these companies just put those discounts on their site? I digress. I had to cancel the subscription and order again with the discount.
You also have to host your site with them. Now the problem with that are many folds. You cannot move your site to another host. They have the rights to the template. So, if you are not satisfied with their speed, (I am not, my site loads slow!) you cannot just move. All the efforts you put into creating your site are gone forever if you decide to move.
You don't have access to the html or file manager. So if an analytics/ security engine asks you to host a file on your domain, you cannot. If you want to let you sites visitors download a pdf document from your site, you cannot!
Another major drawback of wix.com is, I don't think they are search engine optimized, even though they claim to be. My blog patrickwashington.blogspot.comis more visible in search results than PatrickVideos.com.
So here is my recommendation, if you want a great looking site up and running in a day, go with Wix.com. But for long term solution, use some CMS like WordPress.
 And going back to the title of this post, why can't tools like expression web and dreamweaver incorporate stuff like wix.com. Have a large collection of site templates, have page templates too. Make it easy to build basic sites. Or is it already there and I don't know about it? If you know of something better leave a comment or mail me at patrick@patrickvideos.com. I would love to hear from you! 


Post a Comment