Indian Cricket Team Updates

Indian Cricket Team Updates


Interview with Praveen Kumar: miserly economy rate vs RR

Posted: 14 Apr 2013 11:49 PM PDT

Praveen-Kumar-RR-vs-KXIP-IPL-2013

Although they did not have enough runs on the board to defend and Rajasthan Royals opener Shane Watson fired on all cylinders to push the Kings XI Punjab further back in the corner, the visitor's attack put up a fight to keep themselves in the hunt till the last over.

After Parvinder Awana sent back Watson, Praveen Kumar dealt a double blow by removing Rahul Dravid and Stuart Binny in the same over and kept the team in the game. The pacer bowled at a miserly economy rate and kept a strangle-hold on the RR line-up. Kumar who finished with 4-1-10-2, best figures for a bowler in the match, reflected on the loss in a brief interaction with iplt20.com after the game.

Excerpts from the interview with Kumar:

On being a few runs short while defending but keeping the team in the hunt with two wickets

We did not play the last seven deliveries. We did not play our full quota of twenty overs so that did make a difference. Maybe we could have added 12-15 runs in those balls. A total of about 135-140-145 runs would have been a good score on this track (to defend). The ball was doing something (there was movement). So we were a few runs short.

On the shot selection by KXIP batsmen and whether it is an area of concern 

The team that is being selected to play is a good team but batsmen haven't clicked yet. But it was only the third match so far. So, maybe in the coming games they will click and that will be good for us.

On David Hussey's knock

He is a very good player. He is as one of the best twenty20 players in the world. He has been doing well in all areas and he has batted well in the earlier matches as well. And hopefully he keeps doing well going further into the tournament.

On the plan while coming out to defend the total 

We were hoping to get one or two wickets in the first six overs and concede as few runs as possible. It didn't happen that way. It happened a little late. The game opened up in the first five overs (when Shane Watson (32 off 19) played a quickfire knock) and things worked out differently.

On taking the game into the last over 

Yes we pulled it to the last over and that is a good thing for the matches to come. The boys will learn from it, all of us we will learn from it (the match today).

On close finishes like today and bowlers having had an upper hand in the games so far 

Yes that's true. All the teams have been playing well. Bowlers and batsmen are both doing well so overall it has been a good tournament.

source: iplt20.com

Kevon Cooper seeks to strike every time

Posted: 14 Apr 2013 11:41 PM PDT


More often than not, Kevon Cooper strikes for the Rajasthan Royals' and accounts for wickets in the middle and death overs. In the contest against Kings XI Punjab, once again the tall pacer from the Caribbean took rear guard toll with James Faulkner after S Sreesanth and Siddharth Trivedi lopped off the top order to help set up the game for the home team. The 24-year old has been an important cog in the Royals' squad since his inclusion in the team last year and has claimed wickets in all of RR's three wins in the Pepsi Indian Premier League 2013 so far. (Alsos Read: RR vs KXIP - M18 Report & Stats: IPL 2013)

On Sunday evening at the Sawai Mansingh Stadium, as the pace battery ran through the opposition line-up, Cooper trapped Azhar Mahmood and sent back Piyush Chawla to help restrict KXIP a few runs short of what they would have liked. 

Although he refrained from sharing the key to his success, a confident Cooper said is happy to do the job for the team and lauded his fellow pacers who once again bowled in tandem for the Royals while speaking to iplt20.com. 

Excerpts from the interview:

On the pace battery doing it once again for the Rajasthan Royals' at the Sawai Mansingh Stadium?

Yes, I must say well bowled. The bowlers did very well as a team. So I must say well done to them. We struggled a bit later on but that is cricket. I like the way the guys applied themselves and went over there and played. 

On being able to get the breakthroughs when handed the ball? 

My job is to get wickets through the middle there and every time Rahul gives me the ball I feel welcome to take the ball and get wickets for my team. I am happy to do whatever my team wants me to do and hopefully I can continue doing a good job. 

On the secret to his success 

It is just working hard in the nets and knowing my strengths, knowing my weakness and knowing my ability. Doing my tricks, hopefully I can continue for Rajasthan Royals and hopefully this time around we can qualify in the top four. 

On what goes through his mind every time Rahul hands him the ball 

The guys believe in me, Rahul believes in me a lot. I am capable of getting wickets and every time I get the ball in my hand I just want to do well and as I said, I hope to continuing going from strength to strength and helping Rajasthan Royals. 

On Sreesanth and Trivedi setting-up the game 

In T20 getting wickets upfront always puts the pressure on the players and batters to come. So I must say well done to the bowlers for getting wickets at the top today and hopefully we can go from strength to strength. 

On Faulkner being a good addition and today also he wrapped up things well

Fulkner coming in adds something special to the team with his left-arm bowling and also with his batting and fielding. He is a great player for us. I wish him all the best and hopefully he continues getting wickets and hopefully we do well. 

On what it was like for batting 

A bit difficult; the wicket had a bit of grass on it and was doing a little bit once you put the ball in the correct areas. You knew you would get the results. And for us, we got the early wickets and really put them under pressure and I think that is the key to twenty20 cricket. We have a couple of wicket takers in our team and I must say well done to the guys again. 

You did will well to come back from a loss

After losing in Pune we were a bit disappointed with our performance. But as the coach said, once we do things correctly we will get the results. Whoever really performs on that day and does the correct things most of the time will come out on top. We know our strengths, we know the team we have and what we are capable of doing and I think we can upset plenty of teams. 

On difficulty and challenges while bowling in the death overs

Bowling in the death is difficult for any bowler. You are nervous and you want to get it right and with the batsman going at you (it is a) pressure situation. But for me, to come out controlling the nerves out there and to come out on top, I have done that job for my team. 

On what he tells himself to be able to stay calm

As I run up to bowl I know what I want to do and where I want to put the ball and it just works for me. 

source: iplt20.com

Eoin Morgan - MOR’GUNNED’ Sunrisers

Posted: 14 Apr 2013 11:27 PM PDT

Eoin-Morgan-KKR-vs-SRH-IPL-2013

Remember that Irish guy, with glittering blue eyes? Eyes that lit up the moment it saw an opportunity to score or catch a ball? Yes, that Irish guy who later on went on to don the England jersey and at the moment is basking in the purples of KKR in IPL 2013? 

Yes, Eoin Morgan got a packed Eden Gardens to its feet with an array of strokes that got even the opposition's appreciation. Improvisation, proper cricketing strokes and the free flow of the bat; Morgan displayed it all in his 21 ball 47 that helped the Knights get to a 180-plus score

Morgan in his casual self, bearing and welcoming smile spoke exclusively to IPLT20.com after the match. In his chat, he opens up about his rich vein of form, his action packed innings of 47 against the Sunrisers Hyderabad and his love for the people of Kolkata and the Eden Gardens. 

You seem to have hit a purple patch for the Knights this season.

I would not quite call it a purple patch, but I think I am striking it quite well and I am cashing in which is quite nice. It was great to get in there and get some shots going. We were in a pretty similar situation last year where we lost two games on the trot and came back stronger. Such was the case today as well, we got a win under our belt and we look to get the momentum going in the games to come.

There seems to be a plan of giving you more games this year than the previous years.

Obviously last year, trying to get into a winning side was very difficult. I hope I get to play as many games as possible for KKR this year. Hopefully I can continue to score in the opportunities I get and look to contribute towards the side's success.

Was it a plan to get you ahead of a Yusuf Pathan after the fall of Gambhir's wicket?

Yes it was a plan and we had thought about it in our meets. We had this thing in our mind to go on with the left hand-right hand combination which has worked for us and looked to do the same in this game as well. It worked quite fine today and hopefully we will continue to execute our plans to good effect.

What was the talk between Jacques Kallis and you when some quick runs were the need of the hour?

Jacques is very calm at the crease and I plan to keep it that way as well, which is why we had a lot of sensible talks in the middle. We were quite smart in what we did and it managed to come off which was quite nice.

Over number 18, you got the better of Thisara Perera scoring 20 runs. How do you plan such an assault? 

It was one of those occasions were the bowler sort of missed his lengths and I got my way. It can happen especially here in a short boundary with the ball coming on to the bat too well. I was glad I could manage to clear the ropes on a few occasions.

Brilliant energy on the field, stunning catches taken today by the Knights, which one was your favorite? 

The fielding is what we emphasize in our training sessions were we can stop maybe ten or fifteen runs. Our fielding coach, Trevor Penny has been instrumental in encouraging us and helping us to improve our skills all the time. My favorite was Yusuf Pathan's catch. He had to jump his full length at the boundary ropes and it was great to see him take a stunner.

How has Kolkata treated you? How is it playing in front of a packed Eden Gardens?

The people of Kolkata have been hospitable. The love and affection you get from the Kolkata fans is absolutely brilliant. The game today was a sell out and to perform at the iconic Eden Gardens is a great feeling. I would rate the Eden Gardens in my top three grounds in the world. I love playing here and love being a part of the KKR.


source: iplt20.com

I am the same bowler: Ishant Sharma

Posted: 14 Apr 2013 11:20 PM PDT

Ishant-Sharma-SRH-IPL-2013

It is amazing what an impact one path breaking performance can have. It was way back in 2008 that Steve Waugh called Ishant Sharma the next big thing in cricket and rated him 'high up there' amongst the new crop of Indian fast bowlers. Five years back, Ishant had pace, Ishant was consistent and was getting the best in the business hop around at the crease with his sheer accuracy and wicket taking ability. 

Five years on, times have changed; suddenly one gets an impression that the 'wicket-taking' Ishant is wrapped in a closet. Some believe that the tall pacer has forgotten the art of taking wickets, while the rest believe he is one of those bowlers who showed a lot of promise, but is slowly fading away like a candle lit in a dark room. There is still a particular sect though, that believes in Ishant Sharma and feels he is genuinely India's brightest prospects in the fast bowling department. 

Ishant has a lot working in his favour. For starters he is just 24 years old, almost a regular in the Indian whites and now he shares his space with two of the most exciting fast bowlers in world cricket wherein each day is like a learning experience. In this exclusive chat with IPLT20.com, the fast bowler talks about the "matured Ishant" , an Ishant who does not care about his critics and an Ishant with tremendous self confidence. 

From 2008 to 2013, is Ishant Sharma a different bowler?

I am the same bowler. I haven't changed at all. I love to be aggressive on the field and look at the positives in my game. I was always ready for the challenge five years back and I still am. I have tremendous self confidence in myself which has never faded away since 2008. I am a more matured bowler now. I know about my body well, and I am more matured when it comes to fitness, preparations and mindset.

In the previous Test series against Australia, you had just seven wickets to your name. Disappointed?

I don't worry when I go wicket-less. I have taken wickets whenever I have got an opportunity. We all know that the wickets in the India-Australia Test series were spinner friendly where I got very little to bowl. In the limited opportunities I got to bowl, I took wickets. That is what I look to doing in the future, Every time I have the ball in my hands representing India!

But the question here is, Ishant is 51 Test matches old, shouldn't he have taken a lot more wickets in that span of time?

Look, after playing 50 Test matches for your country, no one wants to change the way you bowl. Only the mindset has to be changed. Waqar Younis, our bowling consultant in the IPL asked me to believe in myself and said, "Ishant if you are bowling to a batsman of high caliber, tell yourself that you are a big bowler for your country as well. Take pride in your name, take pride in how you are bowling to him and take pride in the skill and ability that you have as a bowler." These are words that have stuck in my mind and I look forward to implement it in my bowling.

As you said, Waqar Younis showed a lot of keenness to work with you, what aspect of your bowling has he worked on? 

The good thing about someone like a Waqar, who is a legend of the game, is that he has never wanted me to change anything in my bowling. Yes, there are certain minor changes like line and length that he has asked me to work on. Apart from that he hasn't asked me to bring about any drastic changes in my bowling.

You obviously would have a lot to learn from Waqar and Dale Steyn, your SRH team mate. 

Being amongst Dale and Waqar in the side, obviously for me as you said is a great learning curve. There is a lot you can learn from the best fast bowler in the world and one of the best fast bowlers in an era gone by. It is great to have them in the dressing room. Little advices on how to bowl and where to bowl makes a lot of difference.

How do you plan to get more consistent with respect to line and length?

Consistency depends on confidence. It has nothing to do with how you are bowling, if you are going to be confident about yourself and confident about the skills you hone, the consistency will come on its own. 

Your detractors say you have lost your wicket taking abilities. How do you react to that?

I do not need to prove anything to anyone. I am playing for my country and have picked up wickets in India and abroad. Everyone has their own opinion. My job is to pick wickets for India whenever I have the ball in my hand.

Will we see you bowling consistently at 140kmph?

I am trying my level best to bowl 140 plus consistently. That is my aim. I do not want to sacrifice pace. I want to keep coming hard at the batsmen." 

What is the mindset that you go into before any game? 

Whenever I am on the field, I look to go out there and enjoy the game. I accept the challenge that is thrown at me and work towards coming out trumps at the end of it. Till the time the team wins and I contribute towards the team's success I am a happy man.

A word for your fans, who have backed you come what may.

My fans need to believe in me that I am going to do well whenever I go out there to bowl. I am sure I will do well in whatever format of cricket I play for which I am working hard as I was doing before. I am working much harder this time.  

source: iplt20.com

Pull it like Ponting - MI

Posted: 14 Apr 2013 11:14 PM PDT

Ricky-Ponting-MI-IPL-2013

Great sporting careers, as difficult as it is to fit them into a small mould of description, are often capable of being identified by a singular trait of those who lived them. From Muhammad Ali's shuffle to David Beckham's free kick and Roger Federer's one-handed inside-out sliced backhand to Sachin Tendulkar's straight drive – these shots or moves are known as one with the men who mastered them.

Similarly, if one was to dwell into the glorious batting career of Ricky Thomas Ponting, the pull shot would take precedence over the other strokes he played, perhaps, equally deftly.

How did he achieve such mastery in countering the fast bowler's most lethal weapon on the field – the bouncer? What was the technical and mental side to it? We asked the man himself to dissect the shot that gave him the bulk of his 27,483 international runs.

Is it a true story that when you first walked into the Australian Cricket Academy, Rod Marsh put you up against a 6'6 feet tall fast bowler in the nets. You pulled the first ball and he said, "This bloke will play for Australia."?

It is a true story. I was a young 15-year-old bloke then. I went into the nets without a helmet as back then I never used to wear one. I was brought up on hard wickets, I was always a young boy playing against men and men liked bowling bouncers to the young boys all the time. So, I learnt pretty quickly that one, if I was going to survive and two, if I was going to score runs, I'm going to have to play well off the backfoot.

Technically, what was the natural advantage you had when it came to the backfoot play?

If I break down my technique now and talk about and reason why I play the pull and the hook shot well, it's just about the way I picked the bat up. My initial movements make it easy for me to be able to play that shot. Also, being able to pick the length of the ball early is what differentiates the great players from the good ones. I guess, with my pull and hook shots I picked the length of the shorter ball a bit better than most guys did. 

The bouncer is the most intimidating thing a batsman has to face at the crease. Didn't it ever scare you?

I've never been scared on a cricket pitch. Never. But I can understand how tail-end batsmen who can't protect themselves would be scared of facing short-pitched fast bowling. Yes, it tests international players. You can't afford to have any weaknesses at all because the opposition will find it out pretty quickly.

Is it fair to say that your penchant for dispatching the bouncers to the boundary was a reflection of your personality – fearless and always game for a challenge?

I think so. When I was batting, I always tried to counter-attack. I batted at No.3 for the most part of my career and I wanted to put the pressure back on the fast bowlers. I wanted to let them know that they can't just bowl a bouncer at me and think of it as chance to stop me from scoring or getting me out. I wanted to attack and let them know that if they wanted to bowl a bouncer at me, there was every chance that I will get hold of it and hit it for a boundary. Also, I think if as a top-order batsman you can play that shot well, you can make a statement on behalf of your whole team.

Which was the most fearsome spell of short-pitched fast bowling that you faced during your career?

I have faced some really tough spells of fast bowling. I've still got a video of Shoaib Akhtar bowling to me at the WACA and that's the fastest spell I've faced in my career. I remember Justin Langer was at the other end batting with me and he wouldn't run. I was stuck there at one end facing Akhtar and Justin was at the other end leaning on his bat and making sure that I face all the balls.

Do you remember any incident where you shattered the morale of a charged up fast bowler by dismissing his bouncers?

I don't think that you ever shatter the morale of anyone because the beauty about bowling is that no matter how hard and far the batsman hits it, the ball always comes back to you and you have another chance of getting him out. As a batsman you're always trying to do that – stamp your authority on the bowler – but I don't think it works like that too much.

Someone like a Rahul Dravid would roll his wrists at the finish of his pull shot to keep the ball down. You hardly did that. Your pull shot often finished with your bat facing skywards.

It depends on the field placement a lot of the time. If there was a deep square leg and a fine leg, I'd try and keep the ball down a little bit. If the boundary is short on that side and I feel that I can hit the ball over the fielders' heads, I thought I'm better off hitting a six than a four. It depends on the line of the ball as well. If the ball is directed at you, it's a bit easier to roll your wrists on it. If it's wide and away from your body, it's easier to hit it over the top for a six.

You could place the shot from anywhere between the mid-on to the fine-leg!

That again depends on the line of the ball. For the wider balls, the area between mid-on and mid-wicket is easier to target. But if you want to be able to play a shot well over the period of time, you have to keep practising it, whether it is your strength or weakness. I always worked hard on my backfoot game and I guess, that's why I got the results that I did.

You also had a vast margin of height from where you picked up the ball to pull it. You pulled balls pitched on your knee and face-height.

Adam Gilchrist could do that really well as well and Mark Taylor was another Australian batsman who did that really well. I guess that was just about picking the length. I generally did that as my innings went on. Early in the innings I only pulled the ball if it was chest-high or above. But once I started to pick up the length better, I was able to pull slightly fuller deliveries. But you only do that when you've got great confidence on the wicket and how much it's going to bounce. For instance, in the subcontinent you wouldn't be pulling too many balls from down around your knees because the ball could stay low and you could play on or get bowled. On true bouncy wickets in Australia it gets a lot easier to do that.

Given the vast height-margin of the balls you'd pull away, did the bowlers try to deceive you in length – trying to get you pulling to a fuller delivery?

Absolutely, they did and I got out a lot of times doing that. But I scored a lot of runs off that shot and for me to give it up was difficult. I guess it's like if you're out a couple of times playing the cover drive, it's pretty hard to stop playing it. I just had to back myself to play that shot. If it got me runs, it was good but if I got out doing it, I just had to make sure I played it better the next time.

Was leaving the ball a big part of your backfoot game?

Being aggressive-minded my first intent was to hit it for a boundary. If it wasn't quite there I could defend it or let it go. Like I've told all the young batsmen coming through, your first option should be to score a six. If you can't hit s six, try for a four. If you can't get that, go for a three and work it down from there. It shouldn't be the other way – going with a defensive mindset, looking to survive rather than scoring runs.

As a kid, which batsman you admired in regards with playing the bouncers?

Viv Richards was obviously one. We had Kim Hughes, who was a very good hooker and puller of the ball. He played the West Indies fast bowlers most of the time without the helmet. Ian Chappell was very good at those shots as well. So, for me growing up, it was about looking at these people and studying how they did and trying to make myself as good as those people.

source: iplt20.com

RR vs KXIP - M18 Report & Stats: IPL 2013

Posted: 14 Apr 2013 10:46 PM PDT

Match Report:

Rajasthan Royals emerged out of their two loss streak with a six wicket win over Kings XI Punjab at the Sawai Mansingh Stadium. RR were led by their bowlers who bowled out KXIP for just 124, before Ajinkya Rahane and IPL debutant, Sanju Samson helped them ease past the finish line.

Rahul-Dravid-Adam-Gilchrist-RR-vs-KXIP-IPL-2013
Rajasthan Royals captain Rahul Dravid tosses the coin as Kings XI Punjab captain Adam Gilchrist calls during match 18 of the Pepsi Indian Premier League (IPL) 2013 between The Rajasthan Royals and the Kings Xi Punjab held at the Sawai Mansingh Stadium in Jaipur on the 14th April 2013
Chasing a small target of 125, RR started aggressively as Shane Watson smashed three successive boundaries off Ryan Harris in the 2nd over. He followed it with two more including a beautiful drive straight down the ground in the fourth over off Harris. Watson (32) continued his assault with two consecutive boundaries off Parvinder Awana before the bowler had him caught by Mandeep Singh to give KXIP their first breakthrough.

Praveen Kumar had Rahul Dravid (9) and Stuart Binny (0) caught behind in the span of four deliveries to help KXIP force their way into the match. Some tight bowling by KXIP piled on the pressure and Piyush Chawla struck the body blow trapping Brad Hodge (15) leg before. Samson was given a reprieve on 4 when Harris put him down at slip and he made the most of it. RR needed 5 runs off the final over. Samson (27*) and Rahane (34*) who put on an undefeated partnership of 47 runs saw the team home with 4 balls remaining.

Earlier, RR won the toss and elected to field. They were rewarded immediately as S Sreesanth struck twice in his first over dismissing Adam Gilchrist (0) caught at mid-off before having Mandeep Singh (2) caught down at third man. It only got worse for KXIP as they lost Manan Vohra (3) run out by James Faulkner to send KXIP reeling at 10 for 3 in 3.3 overs.

The slide continued as Gurkeerat Singh Mann (10) fell, caught behind off Siddharth Trived and Rajagopal Sathish (11), just as he started to string a partnership together with David Hussey, edged Faulkner to the wicket-keeper. Trivedi struck again dismissing Hussey (41) who held the KXIP innings together as Dravid at mid-off held onto the catch on the second attempt. Kevon Cooper then struck sending back Chawla (7) and then bowing Mahmood (23) in his next over to reduce KXIP to 104 for 8. Kumar (15) who hit a six and two boundaries was run out. KXIP were finally bowled out for 124.

Man-of-the-Match: James Faulkner 

Brief Scores: Kings XI Punjab 124 all out (David Hussey 41, S Sreesanth 2-20) lost to Rajasthan Royals 126 for 4 (Ajinkya Rahane 34*, Praveen Kumar 2-10). 

Ajinkya-Rahane-Nayi-Soch-Award-RR-vs-KXIP-IPL-2013
Mr Sooraj Rathi from the show Diya Aur Baati Hum of Star Plus presents the Star Plus Nayi Soch Award to Ajinkya Rahane of Rajasthan Royals during match 18 of the Pepsi Indian Premier League (IPL) 2013 between The Rajasthan Royals and the Kings Xi Punjab held at the Sawai Mansingh Stadium in Jaipur on the 14th April 2013
Stats Highlights:

7: Number of ducks scored by Adam Gilchrist in IPL. He now shares the dubious distinction of aggregating most ducks by a captain in IPL with fellow countryman Shane Warne.

10: Number of maidens sent down by Praveen Kumar in IPL – most by any bowler in IPL. He was earlier at level with Irfan Pathan with 9 maidens.

50: David Hussey's only six was his 50th in IPL

58: Number of wickets taken by Siddarth Trivedi in IPL – most by a bowler for Rajasthan Royals. He moved ahead of Shane Warne's tally of 57 wickets.

80.95: Ajinkya Rahane's strike-rate in the match – second worst for any batsman facing at least 25 balls in a match in IPL2013, after Irfan Pathan's 76.66 (23 off 30 balls) against Sunrisers Hyderabad at Delhi.

James-Faulkner-man-of-the-match-RR-vs-KXIP-IPL-2013
Mr Mahesh Gupta Chairman & MD of Kent Ro Systems LTD presents the Man of the Match Award to James Faulkner of Rajasthan Royals during match 18 of the Pepsi Indian Premier League (IPL) 2013 between The Rajasthan Royals and the Kings Xi Punjab held at the Sawai Mansingh Stadium in Jaipur on the 14th April 2013
Presentation:

Adam Gilchrist: "We let 7-8 deliveries slip in the innings. We have been bowled out twice now, and it isn't acceptable. It starts at the top, with me. Then in the first 3-4 overs, we gave Shane Watson enough to hit, but we can't blame the bowlers because we didn't give them a good total to defend. But they fought hard."

Rahul Dravid: "It was pretty nervous in the end there. Heart rate around 150-155, but Rahane and the young kind Sanju Samson played really well, showed a lot of composure. We should have got there before the last over. It is a good cricket wicket, not all wickets should be 180-190, these ones make for good exciting cricket. So I am happy with the wicket. Faulkner has been exceptional for us, be brings in a lot of energy in the group. We are happy with the start we had, but we'll learn with the challenges."

James Faulkner is the Man of the Match: "I was very confident with the opportunity here with Royals. This wicket was very different from the one in Pune, not many slower balls here as there was some pace on the wicket. I might have hit the stumps by fluke."

Praveen-Kumar-Maximum-Sixes-RR-vs-KXIP-IPL-2013
Tushar Pandy Senior President, Yes Bank presents the Yes Bank Maximum Sixes Award to Praveen Kumar of Kings XI Punjab during match 18 of the Pepsi Indian Premier League (IPL) 2013 between The Rajasthan Royals and the Kings Xi Punjab held at the Sawai Mansingh Stadium in Jaipur on the 14th April 2013 

source: iplt20.com

KKR vs SRH - M17 Report & Stats: IPL 2013

Posted: 14 Apr 2013 10:29 PM PDT

Match Report:

Kolkata Knight Riders continued their impressive streak at home with a 48 run win over Sunrisers Hyderabad. KKR, batting first, put on 180 on the board with contributions from Gautam Gambhir (53), Jaques Kallis (41) and Eoin Morgan (47) before their bowlers put up a good show to restrict the visitors.

Kumar-Sangakkara-Gautam-Gambhir-KKR-vs-SRH-IPL-2013
Kumar Sangakkara and Gautam Gambhir shake hands after the toss during match 17 of the Pepsi Indian Premier League between The Kolkata Knight Riders and the Sunrisers Hyderabad held at the Eden Gardens Stadium in Kolkata on the 14th April 2013 
Chasing a mammoth 181, Parthiv Patel smashed Lakshmipathy Balaji for a six in the third over and followed it up with a boundary. But the KKR bowlers recovered to bowl tight lines, not allowing the visitors to score more than 39 runs in the power play. With the pressure mounting, Patel (27) went for a wild pull shot only to have Kallis peg back his stump. Cameron White got a move on with consecutive boundaries off Rajat Bhatia before Kallis struck again having White (34) caught brilliantly at the ropes by Yusuf Pathan.

Kumar Sangakara (2) fell soon after caught by Manoj Tiwary off Bhatia. Thisara Perera launched Sunil Narine for a huge six and followed it with a boundary. Tiwary then caught Dwaraka Ravi Teja (10) off Narine to further reduce SRH. Sachithra Senanayake picked his first IPL wicket bowling Ashish Reddy (4). SRH fell short by 48 runs.

Earlier KKR won the toss and chose to bat. Manvinder Bisla and Gambhir started positively dispatching three boundaries off Hanuma Vihari's 2nd over. Bisla continued his assault smashing consecutive boundaries off Perera. Bisla (28) finally fell caught at deep mid-wicket off Karan Sharma. Gambhir hit the first six sending Karan Sharma into the crowd in the 10th over. At the halfway stage KKR were at 76 for 1. Gambhir bought up his 18th IPL fifty in the 12th over with a boundary through third man.

Ashish Reddy got the much needed breakthrough for SRH bowling Gambhir. KKR stepped on the gas, with Morgan hitting Amit Mishra for a six and a four in the 16th over. Kallis joined the party the next over stroking Ishant Sharma for two consecutive boundaries in the off-side. Perera's 18th over was taken apart by Morgan as he plundered 22 runs from it. Morgan was run out by Dale Steyn after hitting the South African for a massive six. KKR eventually finished at 180 for 4 from their 20 overs.

Man-of-the-Match: Gautam Gambhir

Brief Scores: Kolkata Knight Riders 180 for 4 (Gautam Gambhir 53; Karan Sharma 1-13) defeat Sunrisers Hyderabad 132 for 7 (Thisara Perera 36; Jaques Kallis 3-13) by 48 runs.

Eoin-Morgan-Maximum-Sixes-KKR-vs-SRH-IPL-2013
Eoin Morgan receives the Yes Bank Maximum Sixes award during match 17 of the Pepsi Indian Premier League between The Kolkata Knight Riders and the Sunrisers Hyderabad held at the Eden Gardens Stadium in Kolkata on the 14th April 2013
Stats Highlights:

223.81: Eoin Morgan's strike-rate in the match – is the highest in IPL2013 in an innings of 25 or more.

71: Runs scored by Kolkata Knight Riders in last five overs– most by any side in IPL2013. Mumbai Indians had also scored 71 against Delhi Daredevils at Mumbai WS.

50: Yusuf Pathan's catch of Cameron White was his 50th in Twenty20 cricket.

48: The win-margin for Kolkata Knight Riders – their biggest in all IPL games at home (by runs). Kolkata Knight Riders had beaten Royal Challengers Bangalore by 47 runs in 2012.

18: Number of fifties made by Gautam Gambhir in IPL – most by any batsman.

1: Jacques Kallis became first Kolkata Knight Riders player to score 25+ runs and take 3 wickets in the same match in IPL

Gautam-Gambhir-man-of-the-match-KKR-vs-SRH-IPL-2013
Gautam Gambhir is man of the match during match 17 of the Pepsi Indian Premier League between The Kolkata Knight Riders and the Sunrisers Hyderabad held at the Eden Gardens Stadium in Kolkata on the 14th April 2013 JOD7h4W2bfg*
Presentation:

Sangakkara: "We brought it back pretty well after the first six overs, but lost a bit of momentum. We were outplayed by a better side. If we had limited them to about 160, we were never really in the chase from the start. We thought in the Powerplay, having White on the top would help him get a big one for us. We've got good hitting power in White, Reddy and Perera. The rest of us have to rotate the strike."

Gambhir is also the Man of the Match, hmm: "It was a good wicket to bat on, the way Morgan and Jacques batted it was fantastic. We were thinking of 160 at one stage, but to get 180 is great. Morgan has been an incredible batsman, we wanted to give him more time. We wanted someone to complement Sunil, the way Senanayake and Sunil bowled, it's great for us. We got the right pick to bowl in tandem with Sunil. When you're in good nick, you've got to take the team along."

Sachithra-Senanayake-Star-Plus-award-KKR-vs-SRH-IPL-2013
Sachithra Senanayake receives the Star Plus award during match 17 of the Pepsi Indian Premier League between The Kolkata Knight Riders and the Sunrisers Hyderabad held at the Eden Gardens Stadium in Kolkata on the 14th April 2013


source: iplt20.com


Post a Comment