Indian Cricket Team Updates

Indian Cricket Team Updates


Bowling to Sehwag, a dream come true: Sandeep Sharma #KXIPvsDD

Posted: 16 May 2013 09:03 PM PDT

Sandeep-Sharma-KXIP-vs-DD-IPL-2013

Sandeep Sharma, who has been making waves since early last year with his performances at the under-19 level and the 2012-13 domestic season for his state side, impressed with figures of 4-1-23-3 in a winning cause for Kings XI Punjab against the Delhi Daredevils on Thursday night. 

The young pacer bowled a wicket maiden in the third over of the innings to push the visitors on the back-foot. He was on a hat-trick with the wickets of Irfan Pathan and David Warner. Thrilled to realise his dream of bowling to cricketers he grew-up watching the youngster couldn't find words to describe the feeling. He credited skipper Adam Gilchrist's planning and advice that helped him dismiss the batsmen. 

He also mentioned that continuous inputs from Praveen Kumar, the senior India pacer with an ability to swing the ball helped through the season. The thrilling seven-run win against the Delhi Daredevils has kept the King XI Punjab in the fray for a berth in the Playoffs of the Pepsi Indian Premier League 2013. 

While speaking to IPLT20.com after the match, Sharma talked about his bowling and the experience of bowling to the likes of Virender Sehwag and Mahela Jayawardene. 

Excerpts from the interview:

On beating the Daredevils and staying in the competition

It feels good after winning the game and that we can still make it to the Playoffs. One match is remaining and we can still try and make it. And it also depends on the results of matches between other teams. But we are not thinking about it now. We are playing our cricket and focusing on our matches. 

On whether they had enough runs on the board to defend

The 171 we got was a good total on this wicket. Gilly (Adam Gilchrist) batted really well against the new ball in the beginning. The wicket was helping the seamers but Gilly batted really well in the first six overs and after that Shaun Marsh and David Miller also batted well. So the total was perfect for the wicket and it wasn't like we had less runs on the board. 

On how the wicket helped pacers

There was a bit of seam in the wicket but it was important that we bowl in the good areas which all our bowlers did – PK bhai (Praveen Kumar), (Parvinder) Awana, Azhar bhai (Mahmood). 

On having three slips for his bowling which is not seen too often in T20

Gilly did that. He is very experienced and arranged the field taking into account the wicket and my bowling. He told me to bowl the away swing to the left-hander from the off-stump. 

On how he had planned for claiming the two wickets – Irfan Pathan and David Warner off consecutive deliveries 

My focus was to bowl in the good areas and I got the wickets, it is my luck. 

On claiming David Warner

He is an amazing batsman and to get his wicket was a good feeling. 

On what the plan was for David Warner, the advice given to him based on strengths and weakness of the batter

Gilchrist is a very good captain and if you talk about strengths and weakness then the bowler's mind gets a bit diverted. Gilchrist told me to just bowl on the off-stump and not that David Warner is playing. Just to bowl on the off-stump. 

On claiming Mahela Jayawardene's wicket at a vital moment in the game

He is a legend of cricket and to take his wicket makes me happy. I took big wickets and it was always my dream to bowl to these batsmen. I have been watching Jayawardene and Sehwag since childhood. Sehwag is my favourite player, an amazing player and to bowl to him is an amazing feeling, I can't express it. 

On whether he was nervous while bowling to Sehwag

There was no nervousness. I was enjoying it. I have grown up watching them. It was my dream to play with them, bowl to them. It has come true. I was enjoying it. There was no pressure. Even if they hit me I felt I would get to learn from that experience, how to bowl at the higher level. 

On what he has learnt from Praveen Kumar

PK bhai helps me a lot. Every over, sometimes every ball he comes and tells me how to bowl, in which area to bowl so that feels good and helps me a lot. 

Throughout the season he has told me about swing, position of the wrist and setting the field for the batsmen. He also has a good swing and has played a lot of cricket so he has a lot of experience and I am learning those things from him. We talk a lot and that's helps a lot. 

On any new changes or additions he has made to his bowling

No, I have been doing what I have always done. I have struck to my strengths and concentrated of them. 

On the difference does he find between the U-19, India's domestic tournaments and the IPL 

I have never thought that there is a difference in the batsman or the wicket I always think that a good delivery is a good delivery whether I am bowling at the U-19 level or Ranji Trophy (India's multi-day domestic tournament). I have to be confident and do not think about what the batsman will do and believe in my strength.

source: iplt20.com

KXIP vs DD - M67 Report & Stats: IPL 2013

Posted: 16 May 2013 08:52 PM PDT

Match Report:

Kings XI Punjab kept alive their hopes in the Pepsi IPL 2013 with a seven-run win over the Delhi Daredevils at the HPCA Stadium in Dharamsala on Thursday. Batting first, KXIP posted 171 and their bowlers did well to defend DD to 164.

Adam-Gilchrist-Mahela-Jayawardene-KXIP-vs-DD-IPL-2013
Adam Gilchrist (R) spins the coin during toss of match 67 of the Pepsi Indian Premier League between The Kings XI Punjab and the Delhi Daredevils held at the HPCA Stadium in Dharamsala, Himachal Pradesh, India on the on the 16th May 2013
Chasing 172, DD got off to a lucky start as Azhar Mahmood dropped Mahela Jayawardene at slip off Praveen Kumar in the first over. Unmukt Chand (7) creamed Kumar for a six through cover before he had his stumps rattled a couple of balls later. Sandeep Sharma then struck twice, having Irfan Pathan (1) and David Warner (0) caught at slip off consecutive deliveries to leave DD reeling at 12 for three. 

Virender Sehwag smashed two boundaries off Piyush Chawla, introduced into the attack in the tenth over, as DD moved to 57 for three, still requiring 115 runs. Sehwag (30) edged Parwinder Awana to wicket-keeper to leave DD four down in the eleventh over. Jayawardene was once again dropped, this time Mandeep Singh off Chawla. Jayawardene made the most of the lapse and hit Chawla for a six and a four in the 14th over.

Needing 72 from 30 balls, DD lost Jayawardene (39) at the start of the 17th over after he mistimed Sharma to be caught by Manan Vohra at deep square-leg. Ben Rohrer however kept going as he hit a six off Sharma. He continued his hard-hitting, smashing two sixes off Mahmood to leave his team to score 22 off the last over. Rohrer (49) was bowled by Chawla with the first delivery of the final over. Despite a couple of sixes by Morne Morkel, DD finished seven runs short.

Earlier, DD won the toss and elected to field. Shaun Marsh got KXIP to a brisk start with consecutive boundaries off Irfan Pathan in the first over. Adam Gilchrist was given a reprieve when he was put down by Umesh Yadav (off Morne Morkel) on eight. Gilchrist then took apart Ashish Nehra's second over – the sixth of the innings - for 17 runs as he slammed two sixes and a boundary. Gilchrist (42) smashed Pathan for a boundary through midwicket before he miscued one and was dismissed caught and bowled in the eighth over.

Mahmood (9) was sent back by Nehra as Siddarth Kaul pulled off a spectacular catch by the boundary in the 12th over. Marsh went after Yadav in the 16th over hitting him for two boundaries before David Miller followed it with a six. Morkel had Marsh (45) caught in the deep by Pathan before Rajagopal Sathish put him over the fence in the 17th over. Miller (44*) went on an assault in the following over, hitting two sixes and a boundary off Kaul. He then hit another six off Yadav in the 19th over. Satish (22) fell in the last over as KXIP posted 171 for four.

Siddarth-Kaul-catch-KXIP-vs-DD-IPL-2013
Siddarth Kaul takes the catch to dismiss Azhar Mahmood during match 67 of the Pepsi Indian Premier League between The Kings XI Punjab and the Delhi Daredevils held at the HPCA Stadium in Dharamsala, Himachal Pradesh, India on the on the 16th May 2013
Man-of-the-Match: David Miller 

Brief Scores: Kings XI Punjab 171 for 4 (Shaun Marsh 45, Ashish Nehra 2-38) defeated Delhi Daredevils 164 for 7 (Ben Rohrer 49, Sandeep Sharma 3-23) by 7 runs. 

Stats Highlights:

165.46: David Miller's strike-rate – best for any batsman facing 100 or more balls in IPL 2013.

90: Number of sixes conceded by Piyush Chawla in IPL – most by any bowler.

50: Number of catches taken by Adam Gilchrist in IPL – first wicketkeeper to do so.

41.57: Shaun Marsh's batting average – second highest for a batsman playing 100 or more innings in Twenty20 cricket. Only Chris Gayle (45.70) is ahead of him.

12: Number of matches lost by Delhi Daredevils in IPL2013. They have now equaled the record of losing most matches in a single edition of IPL. Deccan Chargers in 2008, Pune Warriors India in 2012 and 2013 also lost 12 matches.

5: Number of times Virender Sehwag has not opened the innings in IPL. Three of these instances came in IPL 2009 in South Africa. The last time Sehwag did not open was against Chennai Super Kings at Chennai in 2012. He scored 1 off 6 balls.

Presentation quotes

Jayawardene: The wicket did a bit and their bowlers did well. That's the season for us, very close but not close enough. Needed to settle in, they bowled good areas, we lost wickets, Ben batted well but wasn't good enough. We wanted to change a few things, up front was going to be tough so changed them. Need to reduce our mistakes.

Gilchrist: Slight chance yep, watch with interest what happens next couple of days. There's no better place to play cricket in the world than this, it's a beautiful place here. Miller's come off age this season, the world now knows his value. Not surprised with Sandeep's success, he's aggressive and you want to keep an eye on it.

David Miller is the man of the match: Enjoyed hitting the straighter six more than the others. It's a small ground here and if you can hit hard enough, the mis-hits can go for a six too. In nets, try and practice as close as possible to the game situation.

source: iplt20.com

A dream come true to play at Wankhede: Pravin Tambe

Posted: 15 May 2013 10:09 PM PDT

Pravin-Tambe-MI-vs-RR-IPL-2013

For 41-year-old Pravin Tambe, the last couple of months have been unlike any other he has ever experienced, seeing as how he was an unlikely inclusion in the Rajasthan Royals' squad. Since then, the Mumbai-based spinner has been one a talking point among the cricketing faithful across the country. (Also Read: MI vs RR - M66 Report & Stats: IPL 2013)

However, Tambe's journey has stretched many years prior to IPL 2013, when as a club cricketer he toiled in virtual anonymity. During all those years – and even post 40 – Tambe was driven by his love and passion towards a sport that has now afforded him the opportunity to rub shoulders with the best in the world. In only his second IPL outing, Tambe got to bowl against the Mumbai Indians at the Wankhede Stadium. While the leggie has plied his trade at this ground before, it has always been at the club level. Showcasing his skills in front of a packed house at the home of Indian cricket was undoubtedly a dream come true for him. 

Here are excerpts from Tambe's exclusive chat with IPLT20.com, during which he also spoke about emulating legendary leg-spinner Anil Kumble:

On getting his first IPL wicket

It felt really good to get my first IPL wicket (against MI), especially when my team needed it. I was waiting since the last time I got an opportunity to play and this time I got a wicket. But unfortunately, I gave away a few extra funs than expected, but I am happy about the wicket.

On playing at Wankhede Stadium

Actually, it is dreams come true! I have played plenty of matches here, but since I got to play an IPL game here, I am very happy.

I have played club cricket here, so I knew a bit about the ground. However, playing in the IPL out here is something else.

On missing out on bowling to Sachin Tendulkar, who did not play versus RR

It was also my dream to bowl against Sachin Tendulkar. I was wondering whether I would get to bowl at him, but it didn't happen during this game. 

Whether he has picked up any new tricks from other spinners in the league

Actually, I don't learn new tricks as such at this stage in my life. I just exchange knowledge with other spinners. However, at this level, you cannot try too many things and have to stick to what you know.

On his leg-spin role model 

Anil Kumble is my role model and I have always been following him. I was lucky that I once played a benefit match in Jaipur at the Sawai Mansingh Stadium where I saw him. From then he has been my idol! 

On playing top-level cricket post 40

People are often surprised when they see me, since I do everything – I field, I bat and I bowl. Personally, I don't feel like I have grown old at all.

On what has kept him going all these years

Love and passion! I have a lot of passion for cricket and I have got a lot of support from home – from my parents, siblings, wife and even kids. That is why I still enjoy playing cricket so much.

On his personal expectations this season

When I got selected by RR, I decided that I need to perform well. Since I have never played Ranji Trophy, I wanted to prove that I could perform at this level. So getting this chance is big for me, and while I haven't really performed exceptionally yet, I am satisfied with the way things have turned out for me so far.


source: iplt20.com

I planned my innings: Manish Pandey

Posted: 15 May 2013 10:02 PM PDT

Manish-Pandey-KKR-vs-PWI-IPL-2013

Four years ago, a young Indian teenager at the Centurion in South Africa took the cricketing world by surprise with his mesmerizing stroke-play and ability to clear the ground with ease. 

A 19-year old Manish Pandey, who was still taking baby steps in the cricketing world, had scored a century under testing conditions, becoming the first Indian player to register a ton in the IPL. (Also Read: KKR vs PWI - M65 Report & Stats: IPL 2013)

The result, Manish was touted as the next big thing straightaway and was taken to the pinnacle of accolades. Four years on, things have not gone according to plan for Manish Pandey as he is yet finding his feet in the gentleman's game and looking to improve every time he has a bat in his hands.

"It is the kind of highs and lows like these that help you become a better cricketer" said Manish Pandey who spoke to IPLT20.com after a satisfying match-winning knock of 66 for the Pune Warriors India on Wednesday. In this exclusive chat, the 23-year old talks about his knock against KKR, the lessons he has learnt from his personal ebb and the talks with Yuvraj Singh that made him mentally strong. 

Here is an account of the interview: 

PWI have been through a lot this season and to get a match-winning knock should be special! 

Yes, definitely. It is difficult to be together as a unit especially when you are losing so many games. The feeling for me to get a match-winning knock under the circumstances is completely different. The atmosphere in the dressing room after the win is really amazing. It was a good knock that helped the team get through. I planned my innings well on Wednesday. I paced it really well. I got a flurry of boundaries in some of the overs which gave me the confidence to play well. I enjoyed my knock.

You got the runs on the board, but did you think that your team could lose when Yusuf Pathan was going great guns in the run chase? 

We were under pressure when Yusuf Pathan was striking the ball so well, but we had one thing in mind that we would never give up. We fought till the last ball and I am glad we registered a good win.

What is your view of Yusuf's run-out incident? TV replays showed Yusuf had a word with you while going back saying he did not do it intentionally?

I just told him we were lucky to get a decision like that, which made a difference to the game. I told him well played. It was a fantastic knock by Yusuf. He almost won the game for KKR.

Personally, not the best of IPL seasons for you. Was it a different challenge for you to perform?

It is a little difficult mentally, but these are challenges that you have to get through and this was one of that. I had to keep my calm and be really hard working off the field, in the nets, which I did day in and day out and I think it gave me results against KKR.

What did you tell yourself before the match?

I was thinking about it last night. I was sitting in my room alone and I had a few thoughts about my batting. I was just thinking that I had to make the most of the two games remaining. I got a 29 in the last match, and was feeling good about my batting going into this game. I told myself that I need to get runs which will keep me in good stead for the future. I prepared myself mentally for the challenge and eventually it paid off.

You were the talk of the town when you scored a century in IPL season 2. Things have not really gone your way over the last couple of years. What have you learnt from such highs and lows? 

When you are on a high, one has to realise that you have to come low at some point of time. There are times when things will not go your way, when you have to push a little harder than normal. There were times when I could not perform well, which was a bog down moment for me. I had to come up by being hard on myself, since taking it easy would not have helped. I had to fight back and things went well for me. Such experiences prepare you for the tough days to come. They count a lot and it gets you stronger.

Have you had talks about your batting with your PWI teammate Yuvraj Singh?

Yuvraj is one of the icons in the team. He is a great motivator. He is someone who helps everybody. He has spoken to me about my batting and the most effective thing he told me was to be calm in the head and focus on the game. He asked me to be mentally strong and I am working towards that.

source: iplt20.com

MI vs RR - M66 Report & Stats: IPL 2013

Posted: 15 May 2013 09:41 PM PDT

Match Report:

The Mumbai Indians kept their winning streak at home intact with a 14-run win over the Rajasthan Royals at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai on Wednesday night. MI posted a competitive 166 on the back of Aditya Tare's 59 before their bowlers blew open the RR top-order, eventually restricting them to 152.

Rohit-Sharma-Rahul-Dravid-MI-vs-RR-IPL-2013
Rohit sharma captain of Mumbai Indians and Rahul Dravid captain of Rajasthan Royals during the toss before the start of the match 66 of the Pepsi Indian Premier League ( IPL) 2013 between The Mumbai Indians and the Rajasthan Royals held at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai on the 15th May 2013
Chasing 167, RR lost Rahul Dravid (4) as he was adjudged caught behind off a Mitchell Johnson bouncer. The decision to promote James Faulkner (12) up the order failed as he was caught by Glenn Maxwell top-edging Dhawal Kulkarni in the fourth over. Sanju Viswanadh (4) found Maxwell as he miscued Johnson attempting a pull. The collapse continued as Ajinkya Rahane (4) fell in the sixth over, caught by Lasith Malinga off Kulkarni to leave RR reeling at 28 for four. 

Shane Watson slammed consecutive sixes off Malinga in the 8th over in an attempt to get the run-chase back on track. Watson (19) however departed soon after, caught by Kieron Pollard off Pragyan Ojha in the tenth over. At the halfway stage RR were 60 for five, still needing 107 runs.
Stuart Binny (37*) played a lone hand as he smashed a six and a boundary off Ojha. However wickets fell around him as Dishant Yagnik (10) was bowled by Harbhajan Singh. Needing 61 from 30 balls, Brad Hodge – who was put down by Ambati Rayudu - smashed Ojha for four boundaries in the 16th over. Needing 23 at the start of the final over, Malinga trapped Hodge (39) leg before Cooper smashed a six. However RR finished 14 runs short.

Earlier, RR won the toss and put MI in. The hosts started in grand style as Glenn Maxwell smashed a six off Faulkner in the second over. He followed it with two more off Ankeet Chavan. Watson provided the breakthrough as he trapped Maxwell (23) leg before wicket. Tare, playing his first game of the season, got going hitting consecutive boundaries off Chavan before launching Watson into the crowd. MI made 49 from the Power Play. Tare was put down on 24 by Dravid off Binny. 

Tare smashed consecutive boundaries off Faulkner as he brought up his maiden IPL fifty. Dinesh Karthik (21) was caught in the deep off Pravin Tambe. Tare (59) followed him in the next over as he miscued Cooper to be caught by Watson. Pollard slammed Pravin Tambe for a six in the 14th over and Rohit Sharma (14) top-edged Faulkner to Watson in the 16th over. RR pulled the run-rate back as they kept picking up wickets towards the fag end. Cooper ran out Pollard (17) before Ambati Rayudu (7) holed out off Watson. Harbhajan hit Cooper for a six in the 19th over as MI eventually posted 166 for eight, losing Johnson and Malinga in the final over.

Aditya-Tare-Man-of-the-Match-MI-vs-RR-IPL-2013
Mumbai Indian player Aditya Tare receives man of the match award during thge presentation of the match 66 of the Pepsi Indian Premier League ( IPL) 2013 between The Mumbai Indians and the Rajasthan Royals held at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai on the 15th May 2013
Man-of-the-match: Aditya Tare 

Brief Scores: Mumbai Indians 166 for 8 (Aditya Tare 59, Shane Watson 2-30) defeated Rajasthan Royals 152 for 7 (Brad Hodge 39, Dhawal Kulkarni 2-21) by 14 runs. 

Kevon-Copper-Star-Plus-Nayi-Soch-Award-MI-vs-RR-IPL-2013
Rajasthan Royals player Kevon Copper receives star plus nayi soch award during the presentation of the match 66 of the Pepsi Indian Premier League ( IPL) 2013 between The Mumbai Indians and the Rajasthan Royals held at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai on the 15th May 2013
Stats Highlights:

1: Kieron Pollard was run-out for the first time in an IPL match – in his fourth year and after playing 52 innings!

2: Number of players to aggregate 500 runs and take 10 wickets in a single edition of IPL. Shane Watson emulated Jacques Kallis who did so in 2010.

8: Number of matches won by Mumbai Indians at home. They are the second team to win all eight games at home in IPL 2013 after Rajasthan Royals.

18: Number of catches taken by Kieron Pollard at Wankhede – most by any fielder at a ground in IPL.

5486: Runs scored by Brad Hodge – most by any batsman in Twenty20 cricket. He got his record back from Chris Gayle, who has 5484 runs against his name.

Glenn-Maxwell-maximum-sixes-MI-vs-RR-IPL-2013
Mumbai Indian player Glenn Maxwell receives yes bank maximum sixes award during the presentation of the match 66 of the Pepsi Indian Premier League ( IPL) 2013 between The Mumbai Indians and the Rajasthan Royals held at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai on the 15th May 2013
Presentation

Dravid: I thought we fought hard both, with the ball and the bat. Great effort by Binny and Hodge. Would have taken the target, credit to Mumbai for the way they bowled in the last four overs. We fight quite hard and while we have had tough games, we have been competitive. On his dismissal, happens, sometimes you get away with some, sometimes they don't go your way.

Rohit: Everything went pretty well, thought we were 10 short with the bat and bowled well. We know the conditions well at Mumbai, there were certain plans we decided on and executed them well. Credit to Tare, the way he was working throughout the season. All the coaches have been working with him hard. Looking forward to the playoffs, have one more league game first.

Tare is the man of the match for his half-century: Was a difficult time, sitting on the bench, watching all the time. Wanted to improve my game, Ranji Trophy season helped my game. Was a bit nervous at the start but grateful to my teammates, Rohit, Wright had a lot of good things to say. My game's improved since 2010, fortunate to be training with so many greats and thank Kiran More for my wicket-keeping skills.

source: iplt20.com

Sreesanth, Chandila and Chavan arrested for spot-fixing:IPL2013

Posted: 15 May 2013 09:59 PM PDT

Sreesanth, Chandila and Chavan arrested for spot-fixing in the IPL

Kerala pacer S. Sreesanth and two other players of the Rajasthan Royals Indian Premier League team have been arrested by the Delhi Police and charged with spot-fixing in the on-going tournament. 

Sreesanth and the others, Ajit Chandila and Ankeet Chavan, were arrested in a secret swoop at the Trident Hotel in Mumbai, where they were staying, and will be brought to Delhi to be produced in court.  

The police have also arrested seven bookies. Police sources said the players have been accused of spot-fixing in different matches this week. They also said that the arrests were part of an investigation conducted over months by the special cell of the Delhi Police into alleged spot-fixing in the cash-rich IPL tournament, the sixth edition of which is being played now. (Also Read: MI vs RR - M66 Report & Stats: IPL 2013)

The Rajasthan Royals franchise, which is co-owned by Bollywood star Shilpa Shetty, has said in statement that, "We are completely taken by surprise... We will fully cooperate with the authorities to ensure a thorough investigation. The management at Rajasthan Royals has a zero-tolerance approach to anything that is against the spirit of the game." 

30-year-old Sreesanth, a veteran of 53 ODIs and 27 Tests, has been in controversy before over a fight with spinner Harbhajan Singh in the 2008 edition of the IPL. 

Chandila, 29, has played for Haryana and the Delhi Daredevils in the IPL previously. Chavan, 27, has played for Mumbai. 

Spot fixing is the manipulation of a particular ball or wicket in a cricket tournament, which is then betted upon. 

Betting on sports is illegal in India but is allegedly big business in the IPL and is  run by underground syndicates in Mumbai and other parts of the country. Sources said bookies often operate out of vehicles now to avoid detection.

Rajasthan Royals' statement:

We have been informed that 3 of our players have been called in for investigation on spot fixing in matches. We are completely taken by surprise. We do not have the full facts at this point and are unable to confirm anything. We are in touch with the BCCI on this matter. We will fully cooperate with the authorities to ensure a thorough investigation. The management at Rajasthan Royals has a zero-tolerance approach to anything that is against the spirit of the game.


Source: ndtv.com


Post a Comment